We are now offering virtual and in-person programs!
Virtual programs can be experienced live (using Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or Google Meet) or recorded, with special pricing for each. The programs include movement and story time for the younger engineers, games and critical thinking activities for older engineers. All programs include a downloadable activity packet (not needed to participate in the program).
In-Person programs will be determined on a case-by-case basis at this time. Please reach out to our Director of Public Programs at email@example.com with your request.
Watch a preview of each below and download the information packet to learn more:
I’ve Been Working on the Railroad (Grades K-2)
Engineer It! (Grades K-2)
Locomotive Lingo (Grades 3-5)
A Cross-Country Road Trip (Grades 3-5)
NEW for 2021: Animals on the Move (Library Summer Reading – Grades K-5)
While these are scaled for places like schools, libraries and other organizations, we are happy to consider pricing for families and other smaller groups.
About Our Programs
We do more than just read a book! Our Story Time programs encourage creativity, curiosity and movement. Most programs include an engaging story (or two), a movement activity, and an accompanying craft. Themed lessons encourage participants to engage with history, science and technology.
Our hands-on programs encourage critical thinking, observation skills, and creativity. Programs include a short lesson, an engaging activity (or a game), hands-on crafts, and more! Themed lessons encourage participants to engage with history, science and technology.
Our outreach programs cover such themes as:
- History 1890 – Present
- Transportation changes & impacts on American society
- Transportation technologies: Steam, gas, electric systems
- Engineering design, process & prototyping
- Conservation & preservation
- Primary sources & learning from objects
Some of our special activities include:
- Building car & train models out of recycled materials
- Arts & craft projects
- Handling of historical objects
- Games and song
- Free play activities (preschool)
What organizations have said about our Virtual Outreach Programs:
“She made it very personable. She engaged directly with the kids.”
“We loved that there was also a story! Perfect program for a library.”
“Allison does a great job making a virtual program interactive. You can see she’s passionate about what she does.”
Booking a Program
We are happy to adjust any of our programs to match your age group and teaching needs. Looking to book a program? Have a question? Not sure what would work best for your group? Fill out our simple program request form!
Pricing and Logistics
- Program Duration: 40 – 60 minutes, depending on the program
- Program Cost: Download the information packet or call for pricing information. Program fees differ for in-person and virtual programming.
- Group size: 1 Classroom, maximum of 30 students per program (virtual and in-person). A minimum of one adult chaperone per group is required for all in-person programs and must remain with the students during the length of the program.
- Age Range: Story Time programs range between 3 and 8 years old. Our Education programs range from 7 to 12 years old.
View Teacher Outlines for individual descriptions, learning objectives, and standards.
For more information regarding outreach programs with the Marshall Steam Museum, please contact:
Director of Public Programs