Spotlight on Racers & Speedsters
Sunday, September 24, 2017
12:30 to 4:30 pm
The annual Auburn Heights Invitational features an exceptional array of historic automobiles from the classic era. This year’s fundraiser event includes a spotlight display on speedsters and racers, alongside a broad representation of high-end motor cars from the dawn of the automotive age through 1942. Selection is based on significance of the marque, authenticity, presentation and the history of the vehicle. Limited to approximately 20-25 autos, the Auburn Heights Invitational offers a rare opportunity to compare and contrast early and later classic-era vehicles — all at the elegant Auburn Heights estate. This is also an excellent opportunity to see the museum’s newest exhibit Letting Off Steam: The Stanley Legacy. Click here to learn more about the exhibit.
Funds raised from the annual event benefit the Marshall Steam Museum and Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve (FAHP), a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and operating the extraordinary collections entrusted to its care.
The 2017 lineup included:
Speedsters & Roadsters
- 1906 Stanley Vanderbilt Cup Race Car
- 1907 Stanley Model K Semi-Racer
- 1911 Mercer Raceabout Model 35R
- 1913 Mercer Raceabout Model 35J
- 1916 Pullman Speedster
- 1920 Mercer Series 5 Raceabout
- 1920 Ford Model T Speedster
- 1938 Riley Special Sprint Race Car
General Historic Auto Display
- 1902 Packard Model F
- 1908 EMF Double Rumble-Seat Roadster
- 1908 Franklin Model G Runabout
- 1909 REO Model A Touring Car
- 1910 REO Model R5 5-Passenger Touring Car
- 1910 Stanley Model 60 #5148 Roadster
- 1912 Chalmers Model 30 Touring
- 1918 Cadillac Type 57 7-Passenger Touring Car
- 1924 Willys Knight Model 64 Touring Car
- 1931 Ford AA Mail Truck
- 1931 Duesenberg Model J Tourster
- 1931 Henderson KL “Special” Motorcycle
- 1932 Howe/Gramm Fire Engine
- 1936 Packard 120 Convertible Sedan
- 1939 Cadillac Series 90 V16
- 1941 Cadillac Series 60 Special Town Car
- 1942 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
SILENT AUCTION & RAFFLE: Each year, the Silent Auction & Raffle is filled unique & hard-to-find items. Last year some of the highlights included an original Stanley wooden wheel from the Model 607 and private airplane rides aboard a vintage biplane. You will not want to miss what we have in store for 2017! Proceeds from the Silent Auction and Raffle support the Joseph Boxler Education Fund, devoted to inspiring new generations. Through FAHP’s expanding children’s education program, the Marshall Steam Museum strives to engage and inspire its youngest visitors to connect with science, history and technology. If you are interested in donating to the Silent Auction, Raffle, or in sponsoring a Raffle Basket, contact the FAHP office at email@example.com or 302-239-2385.
FOOD & FUN: In addition to historic autos, past attendees have enjoyed delicious fare by the Country Butcher Fine Foods Market, wine and beer tastings from Total Wine & More, craft beer from Dew Point Brewing Co., Woodside Farm Creamery Ice Cream, rides on the Auburn Valley Railroad and tours of the Auburn Heights Mansion, plus special exhibits and presentations, a silent auction, raffle and more!
Please join us in thanking our wonderful sponsors:
- Lyons Companies
- Frederick J. Dawson, ChFC, CLU of Bassett, Dawson & Foy, Inc
- Michael J. Barrett & Nancy H. Barrett
- Belfint Lyons & Shuman, CPAs
- Whisman Giordano & Associates
- Mike May’s Autoshed
- Donald W. Nicholson & Associates, Ltd.
- Dew Point Brewing Co.
Plus our exclusive catalog sponsor:
We thank, too, our loyal catalog advertisers:
- Country Butcher Fine Foods Market
- Diver Chevrolet
- ACTS Communities/Cokesbury Village
- J.C. Taylor Antique Auto Agency Inc.
- Last Chance Garage
- Stanley Steemer
- Wild Birds Unlimited
- Maris Grove Retirement Living
- Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library
- Don Bourdon Boilerworks
- Alex Joyce (in honor of Mike & Kathryn May)
SPONSORSHIP: Sponsors of the Auburn Heights Invitational provide vital support for the museum’s educational programs and enjoy a fabulous day at a unique venue. To learn more about sponsorships for this year’s event, please call the FAHP office at (302) 239-2385 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADVERTISING:To commemorate each Invitational, the Marshall Steam Museum produces the Auburn Heights Invitational Catalog. Serving as a lasting record of the day, the catalog chronicles the stories associated with each of the extraordinary autos on display and includes feature articles of interest to the car enthusiast and history buff alike. This high-quality publication ensures that the event lives on once the automobiles and visitors have returned home and provides enduring recognition for participants, sponsors and advertisers. To review options, CLICK HERE or contact the FAHP office at 302-239-2385.